Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Put down the Hot Coal....

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else: you are the one who gets burned." —Buddha



I would have to say I think Buddha hit the nail on the head with this one.

And I would like to say that holding onto anything really, is poison.  Anger, resentment, pain.... it's all the same.  Stems back to anger which is not a real emotion.  This is just a band aid we put over an emotion we aren't comfortable showing.



But seriously, how does one go about getting through true sharp anger?  We come across some serious life changing situations, sometimes on a daily basis, how do we decide to just not be angry?  How do we become emotionally stable enough to let go of the anger and realize that being angry, harboring resentment and continuing to dwell on the pain that a situation caused you will in no way change the situation?  More so, is simply adding poison to your body.  

Wiki has a pretty good 6 step program.

I don't think that will do it for me....

A friend recently told me they were reading a book that had the quote:  "If you don't like the way a situation is panning out, change what you can control about the situation".  GENIUS!

Now the bad news is that most of the time changing what only you can control won't change the situation much.  The good news is you are always in control of something, even if it's just how you allow a situation to make you feel, or directly effect your life.  The other piece of the good news pie here, is that it's really not that hard to just let. it. go.

Hard lesson to learn.
Easy one to repeat.

I haven't mastered this one bit.  So any additional advice is welcomed.  However, ol' Buddha got me thinkin' today about burning myself over someone else's coal.  I don't like it, you hear me?  Not one bit.....



Puttin down the coal- picking up a beer.


Cheers,

Hoss

No comments:

Post a Comment