Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Life is partly what we make it, and partly made by the friends we choose...


I spend a lot of my time complaining about things, people, I am definitely a tell it like it is person.  Good news is I never lie.  Bad news is, I could be a bit more optimistic. 

But I have to say with all honesty, that I have the most solid, true, amazingly fun, consistent, caring friends of anyone I’ve ever met in my life.  Everyone who meets them says the same thing.  People are amazed by how close we all are, how supportive we are to each other and how much we lift each other up on a daily. 
I’ve always felt like I was lacking in life… I never had a true version of what society deems as a family.  I am in my mid 30s and not married, no children… what I realized is that I have more than those who have all of the above.  I have a huge incredible support system that fills me with such happiness….. I couldn’t ask for more in life.

My best friend has been my partner in life, my sister, since I was 18 years old.  We have been through so much together… death, horrible family situations we would not wish on our worst enemy, disease, marriage, birth, unforgiving heartbreak…it’s unbelievable what a person can go through and come out unscathed with a true friend to go through it with.   She is my "person".

                                                    
           Friends are God's way of apologizing to us for our families.
                                                
Her daughter is my niece.  People have a hard time understanding this.. they always ask, “are you two sisters??”  with such a look of confusion.  She always says, “by choice.”  I love that response.    This little girl has taught me what true, unconditional love really is.  It's amazing how much you can love when a child comes into your life.
                      She's three in case you couldn't tell

My close friends here in Raleigh are a force to be reckoned with.  We met back in college… a long 10-13 years ago… and simply have become family.  We do everything together… we vacation together annually. Our memories are unbelievable.  We are close with each other’s family, we spend holidays together, and we all allow each other, encourage each other… to simply be who we are and be proud. 
 A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked

We do not allow each other to settle for anything less than 150% of what we deserve.  I would not be where I am today.. who I am today without them.  We have spent a lot of our worst moments together... and most of our best.  As we grow, I always take a step back.  I am so proud of all of us for the women we have become. 
Recently, we took a trip to the beach for a bachelorrette weekend (congrats biggie shawt!)  and I remember after we got settled, enjoyed ourselves the first evening... the next day we were all sitting around, simply enjoying each other's company and catching up.  We hadn't all been away like this in years... just us girls.  I remember the WAY people were responding to each other's stories... I was filled with pride.  Looking back at that moment, I thought, wow.  We spend all of our time lifting each other up, giving each other confidence and we really do have all the faith in the world in each other.  We want each other to always be 100% our true authentic self.  My cup runeth over....
Recently, I have been lucky enough to acquire a new very dear friend.  It's amazing to me that this late in life, I could become so close with someone so quickly.  Trust someone unconditionally.... how lucky can I be?  I value this friendship everyday.  She has taught me that putting yourself out there is never a bad thing and being yourself 100% of the time will always pay off....  I strive to be more like her everyday.
                                                       DO YOU!
With any of my true friends.... when we call each other, and ask, "how are you?"  We want to hear it.  Lay it out there... we don't want to hear, "fine".  That is how you know you've got a true friend.  And there have been some hard truths.  About our experiences and each other.  But we learn.  And the one takeaway from all of this is to only surround yourself with those that you learn from, that you want to be more like.  That make you a better person and contribute to your success.  Not those that take it way.  That bleed you... that take and don't give back.  If you feel like you are empty and can't figure out why, or aren't getting to the point in life you really want to be.  Look around.  Who is in your life?  Who do you allow to affect you?  Who do you GIVE to?  Spend your time with?  REEVALUATE who you surround yourself with if it doesn't bring you unconditional joy.   If you have to be or act a different way around these people.... let them go and don't ever look back.  You are wasting your time.
What a waste that is.  Not only is it a waste, but you are depriving yourself of some amazing people out there.  Trust me, their all my friends. <3

I  cherish and celebrate them everyday and hope I am the friend to each of them that they are to me.  This is for you!!
Enjoy a few amazing memories:

No comments:

Post a Comment